Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Real Michigan New Years Eve!

Upfront, I admit my ignorance going in.  I had been calling the impending celebration, "Uncle Ron's Redneck New Years Jubilee" and laughing to myself. Figuring,since I was freshly back on Michigan soil after eleven years, and since we were headed into the country, that I was in store, for well, a camoflauge wearing, deer eating redneck party. I was only half right. 
Enter Uncle Ron, the hard working metalworker, who decided to show up sans teeth and his wife Beth. I would find out that they were exactly what I thought, salt of the earth, real, hard-working folks who do the best they can with what they have and enjoy life! I so enjoyed talking and laughing with Ron throughout the night. He's a rough talkin, sweet talker with a bent for fishing. His long, grey beard compliments his sparkly personality and gives him a "lovable crazy miner" look. Here they are half-way into the night and with a few shots under their belts. 
Aren't they cute?
What a riot! My face was sore from laughing so much at Ron's comical stylings. 
Anyway, Beth and Ron took us to their dear friends, Jim and Betty's place, a beautiful farm in Hastings, MI. . When we arrive, I am so impressed with their beautiful log cabin. It was georgously decorated in "Outdoor Chic" complete with stuffed animals, like wild turkeys perched in the stairwell and beautiful river rock fireplace. 
Betty mixes me a "Spicy Bloody Mary" with a homemade pickle as garnish. Betty cans her own pickles and "spicy" bread and butter concoction that is to die for!
Yummy!
Then Jim and Betty began cutting up some fresh vegetables for the saute pan...onions, mushrooms, peppers. 
After these are ready, they'll be wrapped in the center of venison backstrap. This is my first time eating venison...I'm excited to try something new. 

Now its going to be rolled and wrapped in bacon. (Everything's better with bacon...right?)
Ready to be cooked slowly on the grill.
Looking and smelling good!
Sliced thin and put on toasted and buttered french bread with Aus Jus. Absolutely delicious!
I admit, I was so pleasently surprised.  What was I thinking, that there would be racoon soup? Deer stew? Maybe. But instead I got a high end, farm fresh, hunted for meal. It was absolutely memorable and delicious. 
Jim and Betty were the most gracious hosts and kept thanking us for coming! I was so honored and blessed to have been invited. We had such a full night of laughter and fun! 
At midnight we all had some Jack shots. 
A little Jack Daniels will warm the cockles of your heart. 
Happy New Years! Welcome 2012!
Then the party really started rockin! A big thank you to Jim and Betty, who invited strangers into their home. Gladly, we left as friends.
Now, a couple people did show up wearing camo. But, I checked my ignorance at the door. (Plus this is Michigan, you can buy Camo panties and bras at the Wal-Mart!) 

It's a romantic throwback, don't you think? To have a man hunt and kill your food? It was new for me...and I liked it. In fact, it was the best party I have been to in a long time.  And the best New Years party for me, ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment